Host: Allan Newsome
Running time: 0:18:06
Andy Griffith appeared for the first time on the Grand Ole Opry November 13, 1999. Andy was at the Opry to present fellow Tar Heel Earl Scruggs with a North Carolina Hall of Fame award.
When Andy, who had been kept secluded backstage, joined Earl on stage he received an extended standing ovation (Yes, he said, “I ‘preciate it.”). Andy told a short barbershop joke that George Lindsey had first shared with him years ago. Then Andy, with Earl and company backing him (and reportedly playing a guitar he used on The Andy Griffith show) played and sang “Whoa Mule,” (also called “Flop Eared Mule“). That’s the song Andy performed with the Country Boys on The Andy Griffith Show episode “Mayberry on Record.”
Andy was joined by his wife Cyndi on stage and presented Earl with the N.C. Hall
of Fame award. It was BIG!
Earl Scruggs passed away on March 28, 2012 at the age of 88. He was never on our favorite show but who will ever forget The Ballard of Jed Clampett, the theme song for The Beverly Hillbillies, another TV classic.
Follow me on Twitter if you use twitter. I’ve been posting Mayberry things there as another way to let folks know about The Andy Griffith Show.
Don’t forget to leave comments or ask questions on the TwoChairsNoWaiting.com website or using the contact information given in the podcast. We’d love to have you be a part of our next feedback episode. Call the Two Chairs No Waiting Hot-line at (888) 684-8415 and leave a voice mail to be part of the show.
If you use iTunes, please visit the Two Chairs No Waiting page of the iTunes store and leave a review and rating.
- Andy Griffith American Originals (Weaver’s) – Has “Flop Eared Mule” and more.
- Songs, Themes and Laughs From The Andy Griffith Show (Weaver’s) – Also has “Whao Mule/Flop Eared Mule” but supply is limited.
- Earl Scruggs (Wikipedia) – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Scruggs
- North Carolina Music Hall Of Fame – http://northcarolinamusichalloffame.org/
- Grand Ole Opry – http://www.opry.com/
- “Who’s Been Messin’ Up the Bulletin Board?” Chapter (“WBMUTBB?”) – http://wbmutbb.com/ – The WBMUTBB Digest has over 1500 members from all over the world.
- Audible.com - Support the podcast and get a free book! For you, the listeners of Two Chairs No Waiting, Audible is offering a free audiobook download with a free 14-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. Over 100,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player.
Executive Producer of Two Chairs No Waiting Episode #182: David Wright
Visit the Two Chairs No Waiting store and share your love for the show.
Subscribe to Two Chairs No Waiting