Host: Allan Newsome
Running time: 1:14:37
Thank you for joining me for the Mayberry Bible Study Podcast.
Download the full lesson plan so you can follow along as you listen to the study.
Opie has become acquainted with a new boy in town named Arnold Winkler. Arnold is a spoiled brat who believes he can get away with anything. When Arnold discovers that Opie gets a mere quarter-a-week allowance and has to do chores to get it, he tells Opie that he’s being taken advantage of. Arnold doesn’t have to work for his allowance and believes that no kid should.
Opie decides to quietly demand that his father raise his allowance to 75 cents (the amount Arnold gets), and he says he should not have to do any chores. Opie is obviously uncomfortable making these demands, and he takes it well when Andy refuses to comply. Arnold tells Opie that “man to man” talks always fail. He advises Opie that throwing a temper tantrum will get him whatever he wishes. Arnold says it always works.
Some of the points we’ll hit during this study are below. For a complete list, download the lesson plan.
- Value of a Good Work Ethic (Gal. 6:7)
- Letting Ourselves Rule Our Lives – Arnold
- Skills of Parenting – Andy
- Learning from Mistakes – Opie
- Opie and the Spoiled Kid – More information about this episode (and all the others) of The Andy Griffith Show can be found at Mayberry.info.
- The Way Back to Mayberry: Lessons From a Simpler Time by Joey Fann – Weaver’s Department Store, this is a truly wonderful book inspired by the creator of the Mayberry Bible Study that has been sweeping the country.
- BarneyFife.com – Website originally created in 1998 to provide information about Joey Fann’s inspirational study based on themes from The Andy Griffith Show.
- Mayberry Bible Study Podcast mailing list – If you’re interested in receiving news about the Bible study and would like to be part of the actual studies, please go to the link and sign up for the mailing list for the podcast so I can keep you informed about upcoming episodes.
- Mayberry Bible Study Podcast Facebook Page – Follow us on Facebook
- iMayberry Community – Chapel & Mayberry Bible Study Group