Host: Allan Newsome
Running time: 0:19:43
Opie Cates was on “Lum and Abner” as one of the characters but there are several connections between Pine Ridge, Arkansas and Mayberry, North Carolina. On Two Chairs No Waiting episode 129 we heard audio of Lum Eddards (played by Chester Lauck) and Abner Peabody (played by Norris Goff) interacting with Opie Taylor’s namesake, Opie Cates, and I’m sure Mayberry fans thought it was interesting but in this episode we’ll go into even greater detail.
Mayberry fans are familiar with Foley’s Market just to opposite side of Floyd’s barber show from the Mayberry Courthouse and with Mr. Foley who ran the store (“Aunt Bee, call the man.”) By the sixth season of The Andy Griffith Show Mr. Foley had sold out to a new store owner named Mr. Doakes. You may remember him but you may not if you’re a fan who just doesn’t watch the “color” episode of the series. If you’re not watching the color episodes, you’re missing out on many great episodes so I encourage you to listen to see what you’re missing.
Back to the connection, on the radio program “Lum and Abner” the two men ran and were co-owners of a store called the Jot ’em Down Store in Pine Ridge, AR. Well, okay…I’m not going to tell you here because I want to to ‘hear’ the rest of the story on this episode of Two Chairs.
Don’t forget to leave comments or ask questions on the TwoChairsNoWaiting.com website or using the contact information given in the podcast. We’d love to have you be a part of our next feedback episode. Call the Two Chairs No Waiting Hot-line at (888) 684-8415 and leave a voice mail to be part of the show.
If you use iTunes, please visit the Two Chairs No Waiting page of the iTunes store and leave a review and rating.
- TCNW 130 facebook photos
- TAGS Episode #160 Opie’s Job – Visit the Mayberry Historical Society and add your knowledge of Mayberry to the wiki.
- Lum And Abner Test Footage For TV Pilot – The Internet Archive has a copy of the pilot for you to view. Despite the dark and grainy kinescope quality of this clip, I enjoyed watching.
- National Lum and Abner Society
- Lum and Abner Podcast – Daily Lum and Abner (free) podcast.
- Lum and Abner – Wikipedia entry.
- Lum and Abner characters, make-up – See how the young versions of the actors turned into the old versions of Lum & Abner.
Executive Producer of Two Chairs No Waiting Episode #130: Kenneth Anderson
Visit the Two Chairs No Waiting store and share your love for the show.
Subscribe to Two Chairs No Waiting