Host: Allan Newsome
Running time: 0:20:04
In this episode we’ll be talking about African-Americans living in Mayberry. This is a topic that comes up from time to time in The Andy Griffith Show fan community and since this episode is being recorded on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, the topic came to my mind.
The only primary African-American character to appear on The Andy Griffith Show was in the 7th season episode “Opie’s Piano Lesson.” Volunteer football coach Flip Conroy, played by Rockne Tarkington, has to show Andy that Opie can do two things and do them both well. To illustrate his point, Conroy, an ex-New York Giant, sits down and plays a classical work on the piano.
We’ll talk about “extras” walking around Mayberry and the fact that there are African-Americans in Mayberry. Of course this isn’t the same as having primary characters but we need to remember that this was a television show done to entertain, to escape to a better place for 30 minutes. Mayberry wasn’t the “real world” but I believe it did, and does, represent a world many would like to live in. A world where everyone, black, white, gypsies….whomever would be treated fairly and with respect.
I believe that we saw enough of Andy Taylor’s character to know that whomever was around him would be shown caring respect. Let’s all try and show each other that same caring and pretend that we do live in Mayberry. If we do, I think this world would be a better place for us all.
Don’t forget to leave comments or ask questions on the TwoChairsNoWaiting.com website or using the contact information given in the podcast. We’d love to have you be a part of our next feedback episode. Call the Two Chairs No Waiting Hot-line at (888) 684-8415 and leave a voice mail to be part of the show.
If you use iTunes, please visit the Two Chairs No Waiting page of the iTunes store and leave a review and rating.
- Facebook Fan Page photos for TCNW 119
- Opie’s Piano Lesson (TAGS Episode)
- Mayberry Band, The (TAGS Episode)
- Miss Crump’s Blackboard – Mayberry Forum (bulletin board) for discussion of all things Mayberry.
- The Andy Griffith Show Rerun Watchers Club’s Mayberry FAQs
- A Mayberry State Of Mind Chapter – African Americans in Mayberry page. It seems that many folks want to know why there were no African Americans in Mayberry through out the series. If you look close you will see that Mayberry has had African Americans since the first season. While there were no story lines centered on any African Americans they were seen in various scenes around town. This page is dedicated to those who we did see and those we don’t.
- African-Americans in Mayberry
Executive Producer of Two Chairs No Waiting Episode #119: Jan Newsome
Visit the Two Chairs No Waiting store and share your love for the show.
Two Chairs No Waiting Shop