Host: Allan Newsome
Running time: 0:23:58
Cancelled! Back in March 1971 CBS went on a canceling spree and shut down production on all their rural comedies. The end of the 1971 season saw the cancellation of Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, Hee-Haw, Lassie, The Jim Nabors Hour, Hogans Heroes and of course Mayberry RFD. (Petticoat Junction was cancelled the previous season.)
That isn’t a complete listing but gives you the idea about how, as Alabama native Pat “Mr. Haney” Buttram put it, “CBS cancelled everything with a tree, even Lassie.” At the time of the purge, Mayberry RDF was #15 in the ratings.
On Saturday March 5, 2011 a panel discussion was held as part of the George Lindsey UNA Film Festival on Southern Rural Humor in TV & Film.
The participants were Birmingham author Tim Hollis, actor Danny Vinson, media studies scholar Dr. Jacob Podber in the discussion, and the host of Two Chairs No Waiting Allan Newsome. The topic went a great deal into the portrayal of rural characters on television, radio, and film.
Hear from Tim, from his portion of the panel, as we discussed the purge of rural programing.
Don’t forget to leave comments or ask questions on the TwoChairsNoWaiting.com website or using the contact information given in the podcast. We’d love to have you be a part of our next feedback episode. Call the Two Chairs No Waiting Hot-line at (888) 684-8415 and leave a voice mail to be part of the show.
If you use iTunes, please visit the Two Chairs No Waiting page of the iTunes store and leave a review and rating.
- George Lindsey UNA Film Festival – Regional independent film festival located on the campus of the University of North Alabama and various venues throughout the Shoals area.
- Rural purge – Wikipedia article.
- Birmingham Rewound – The “This Month in History” sections of the site features BIRMINGHAM REWOUND’s Tim Hollis with an ongoing series of looks back in time through newspaper advertisements. This link will take you to March 1971 for a look back in time.
- Ain’t That a Knee-Slapper: Rural Comedy in the Twentieth Century – This book by author Tim Hollis traces the evolution of this classic American form of humor in the mass media, beginning with the golden age of radio, when such comedians as Bob Burns, Judy Canova, and Lum and Abner kept listeners laughing.
- Tim Hollis books on Amazon.com
- Tim Hollis on Facebook
- National Lum and Abner Society
Executive Producer of Two Chairs No Waiting Episode #127: Jay Hicks
Visit the Two Chairs No Waiting store and share your love for the show.
Two Chairs No Waiting Shop