Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Host: Allan Newsome
Running time: 1:07:23
Thank you for joinning me for this episode of the Mayberry Bible Study Podcast. This is a special episode of the podcast because it was recorded live on the Mayberry Cruise (Nov 12-17, 2011). We also start off with a special message from Ronnie and Elease Felker (as Barney and Thelma Lou) about the things that are required to get into heaven which will remind you of the scene when Barney was trying to recite the preamble to the Constitution.
Download the full lesson plan so you can follow along as you listen to the study.
The annual Ladies League Musicale will be held in Mayberry this year. Barney believes he will be chosen to represent his town, and he prepares excitedly for his audition. As he is practicing, Farmer Rafe Hollister drops by the courthouse on an errand and listens to Barney’s wretched rendition of “Believe Me If All These Endearing Young Charms.” Rafe begins singing the song in order to show Barney how it should be sung, and he does so beautifully. Much to Barney’s chagrin, Andy encourages Rafe to audition too.
After the auditions, Barney believes he did very well. He overhears Mayberry’s choir director, John Masters, say that thanks to Andy, a wonderful voice will represent Mayberry. When Masters mentions that the voice belongs to Rafe, Barney’s ego takes a beating. When they are unhappy. The mayor and Mrs. Jeffries initially object to Rafe’s appearance and his manner of dress. The mayor orders Andy to tell Rafe he did not win. Andy is very upset with this snobbish and unfair decision, but he does go and see Rafe.
Some of the points we’ll hit during this study are below. For a complete list, download the lesson plan.
- Prejudging Others (Matt. 7:1-5)
- Dealing with Prejudices (Rom. 13:8-10)
- Peer Pressure (James 1:12)
- Unconditional Acceptance (Example of Zacchaeus, Luke 19:1-7)
- Rafe Hollister Sings – More information about this episode (and all the others) of The Andy Griffith Show can be found at Mayberry.info.
- The Way Back to Mayberry: Lessons From a Simpler Time by Joey Fann – Weaver’s Department Store, this is a truly wonderful book inspired by the creator of the Mayberry Bible Study that has been sweeping the country.
- BarneyFife.com – Website originally created in 1998 to provide information about Joey Fann’s inspirational study based on themes from The Andy Griffith Show.
- Mayberry Bible Study Podcast mailing list – If you’re interested in receiving news about it and would like to be part of the actual studies, please go to the link and sign up for the mailing list for the podcast so I can keep you informed about upcoming episodes.
- Mayberry Bible Study Podcast Facebook Page – Follow us on Facebook
It was great fun to listen to this podcast, and remember back to the cruise last year, when this was recorded. I could just picture Barney and Thelma Lou doing their dialogue, and of course, that brought back memories of the hilarious antics of Ernest T. as well. What fun we had.
Thanks for doing these – I hope others will join in and listen. There’s much to learn, and it speaks so well to that bit of Mayberry that we all carry around in our hearts.
@Romeena It was certainly a wonderful time on the Mayberry Cruise. It is special that we’re able to do a Bible study on the cruise and have so many people attend at an 8am time slot on a cruise. Ronnie and Elease did a great job, added some Mayberry fun, and caused introspection as well with their skit.
That you for taking the time to listen to the podcast and for commenting.
This is good stuff Allan. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.
@Radman90 Thank you for listening. I’m glad you liked it. Please tell your Mayberry friends so more folks will know about the Bible study. The more folks we have joining in on the study the better.