Host: Allan Newsome
Running time: 0:25:35
The week this episode originally aired, it was Thanksgiving week in America. I guess that had me focused on things I’m thankful for and one of those was the time I was able to spend with George “Goober” Lindsey from The Andy Griffith Show.
The first four episodes of Two Chairs No Waiting consisted of an interview I did with George in 1998 that was broken into four parts in order to keep the episode length as short as possible. Over time the podcast has grown in length and I’ve always wanted to take those four parts and make them one seamless interview with George. What you’re about to hear is just that.
This interview was my very first one ever. It was recorded in 1998 in Jim Clark’s (the Presiding Goober of The Andy Griffith Show Rerun Watchers Club) living room in Nashville, TN. Present in the room were George Lindsey, Jim Clark, Kenneth Junkin, Jan Newsome, and myself.
As I said, this interview was the first time I’d ever “tried” to interview anyone and it was 10 years before I started this podcast. I had NO idea what I was doing so you may notice that George is basically asking himself questions. He was wonderful. I can’t thank him enough for helping me learn about being prepared. You will hear me piping in from time to time and you’ll hear Jim Clark answering questions in the background.
Some of what George discusses:
* His time on TAGS and Mayberry RFD.
* Reflections about fellow cast members.
* Howard McNear, Floyd Lawson, comments.
* Goober mannerisms, where they came from.
* Goober’s hat and where did that idea come from.
* Pen’s and stuff in his pockets.
* No real pranks on the set.
* Other areas of his carrier other than TAGS.
* He taught school in Hazel Green, AL for one year.
* The requirement to know your lines and being on-time were things Andy expected.
* Andy threw “Goober” in the lake.
* George Lindsey Film Festival.
Enjoy the interview!
Sign up for the Two Chairs E-mail Mailing List
Don’t forget to sign up for the Two Chairs No Waiting e-mail mailing list. I want to be able to reach out to you if there’s a problem with the website and the best way to do that is by using a mailing list. Don’t worry, I won’t be filling your mailbox with e-mail but I would like to have a way to say “hey” if the need arises.
Follow me on Twitter if you use twitter. I’ve been posting Mayberry things there as another way to let folks know about The Andy Griffith Show.
Don’t forget to leave comments or ask questions on the TwoChairsNoWaiting.com website or using the contact information given in the podcast. We’d love to have you be a part of our next feedback episode. Call the Two Chairs No Waiting Hot-line at (888) 684-8415 and leave a voice mail to be part of the show.
If you use iTunes, please visit the Two Chairs No Waiting page of the iTunes store and leave a review and rating.
- The eBullet Archives – http://tagsrwc.com/the_ebullet/archives/
- Subscribe to the free email version of The eBullet – http://www.tagsrwc.com/ebullet/joinebullet.htm
- Sign up for the Two Chairs No Waiting Podcast mailing list
- iMayberry Community – http://imayberrycommunity.com/
- The Mayberry Historical Society – http://www.mayberry.info/
- The Mayberry Channel on YouTube.com – http://www.youtube.com/user/mayberrycom
Executive Producer of Two Chairs No Waiting Episode #306: Jan Newsome
Visit the Two Chairs No Waiting store and share your love for the show.
Subscribe to Two Chairs No Waiting