Host: Allan Newsome
Running time: 0:24:13
“First motorcycle to cross the Marne River-Battle of Chateau Thierry, 6/12/18. Passenger: Black Jack Perishing. Driver: Corporal Nate Jackson, A.E.F.”
Last week marked the Centennial, 100 year, anniversary of when Andy Taylor said General Black Jack Perishing rode in his sidecar connected to the first motorcycle to cross the Marne River—Battle of Château Thierry.
The problem is, it seems the Battle of Château Thierry didn’t occur until July 18, 1918. Folks could never get away with getting a date wrong in the Internet age but back in January 1964, when the episode “Barney’s Sidcar” originally aired, I guess it was easier. I am surprised that in all my years talking about Mayberry, I don’t remember anyone pointing out the date of the battle wasn’t correct.
Then I find out the Harley Davison motorcycle that Perishing was in the sidecar of was a 1927 Harley-Davidson JD. As Floyd might say, “OH! Then he COULDN’T have ridden it across a river in 1918….but it’s HOT!”
So for now, the case is as open as it ever was.
Bonus: This week’s installment of This Week in Mayberry History by Randy Turner featuring “Jack Albertson.”
Sign up for the Two Chairs E-mail Mailing List
Don’t forget to sign up for the Two Chairs No Waiting e-mail mailing list. I want to be able to reach out to you if there’s a problem with the website and the best way to do that is by using a mailing list. Don’t worry, I won’t be filling your mailbox with e-mail but I would like to have a way to say “hey” if the need arises.
Don’t forget to leave comments or ask questions on the TwoChairsNoWaiting.com website or using the contact information given in the podcast. We’d love to have you be a part of our next feedback episode. Call the Two Chairs No Waiting Hot-line at (888) 684-8415 and leave a voice mail to be part of the show.
If you use iTunes, please visit the Two Chairs No Waiting page of the iTunes store and leave a review and rating.
- Battle of Château-Thierry (1918) (Wikipedia)
- Barney’s Sidecar Express–Excerpt from The eBullet
- TCNW 254: The Mayberry Sidecar – The eBullet September 2013
- Two Chairs No Waiting Merchandise
- 6th Annual Mayberry Meet-up in Mt. Airy, NC 20-22 July 2018
- Two Chairs No Waiting Mayberry Podcast Group
- Subscribe to The eBullet
- Facebook: The Gomer & Goober Pyle Comic Book Literary Guild
- Sign up for the Two Chairs No Waiting Podcast mailing list
- iMayberry Community – http://imayberrycommunity.com/
- The Mayberry Historical Society – http://www.mayberry.info/
- The Mayberry Channel on YouTube.com – http://www.youtube.com/user/mayberrycom
Executive Producer of Two Chairs No Waiting Episode #483: Tim Gurbick
Be a Patreon patron and support the show – http://www.patreon.com/twochairs
Subscribe to Two Chairs No Waiting