Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Host: Allan Newsome
Running time: 0:44:05
Almost 12 years ago I did a podcast about the wonderful Don Knotts movie, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, and I think it’s time to review it again. The movie came on MeTV this past weekend during “Svengoolie” and I watched it along with fans all across the country. Facebook and other social media was buzzing with comments and, while I have the DVD, there’s something about being part of the audience along with fellow fans.
Set in Rachel Kansas, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken is in my opinion one of Don Knotts‘ best movies. I likely believe that because so many Mayberry townsfolk show up throughout and it’s Mr. Knotts first movie after leaving The Andy Griffith Show.
Don Knotts plays Luther Heggs but basically he’s playing “Barney Fife” by another name because the character acts almost exactly like Barn. The movie was written by Jim Fritzell and Everett Greenbaum who co-wrote 29 episodes of The Andy Griffith Show and one episode of Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C.. Andy Griffith also helped re-write the script but is uncredited for his efforts.
(NOTE: Fritzell and Greenbaum DID write the episode “The Darling Baby” when the name “Halcyon Loretta Winslow” was mentioned. Likely where the name “Halcyon Maxwell” came from for Reta Shaw’s character.)
Sign up for the Two Chairs E-mail Mailing List
Don’t forget to sign up for the Two Chairs No Waiting e-mail mailing list. I want to be able to reach out to you if there’s a problem with the website and the best way to do that is by using a mailing list. Don’t worry, I won’t be filling your mailbox with e-mail but I would like to have a way to say “hey” if the need arises.
Follow Two Chairs No Waiting on Facebook and/or follow me on Twitter. I post Mayberry things there as another way to let folks know about The Andy Griffith Show.
Please leave comments or ask questions on the TwoChairsNoWaiting.com website or using the contact information given in the podcast. I would love to have you be a part of our next feedback episode. Call the Two Chairs No Waiting Hot-line at (888) 684-8415 and leave a voice mail to be part of the show.
If you use iTunes, please visit the Two Chairs No Waiting page of the iTunes store and leave a review and rating.
- The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (Mayberry.info)
- Two Chairs No Waiting 159: The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
- The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (iMDB.com)
- Mayberry Meetup 2023 Info
- ICVM: 50th Annual Crown Awards (Mayberry Man finalist for Best Comedy)
- Mayberry Event Calendar
- TAGSRWC Facebook Page (Facebook)
- Subscribe to The Weaver’s Newsletter
- Two Chairs No Waiting Related Merchandise
- Weaver’s Department Store
- The Mayberry Historical Society
- Mayberry Man Movie – Mayberry Man Movie (YouTube channel)
- iMayberry Community – http://imayberrycommunity.com/
- Sign up for the Two Chairs No Waiting Podcast mailing list
- The Mayberry Channel on YouTube.com – http://www.youtube.com/user/mayberrycom
Executive producer of Two Chairs No Waiting for Episode #735: Dave Claroni
Patreon Patron of the Week #735: Brian Saul
High Sherriff of Two Chairs #735: Chris Smyrl
Be a Patreon patron and support the show – https://www.patreon.com/twochairs